OU dilemma: How to beat the Longhorns
Here’s OU’s dilemma against Texas. The best way to beat the Longhorns — run the ball and control the clock — is in the hands of a beleaguered offensive line. With no Brian Simmons, the OU line is really down to one veteran, Trent Williams. That means Ben Habern, Tavaris Jeffries, Stephen Good, Jarvis Jones and Cory Brandon could determine the Sooners’ fate.
That’s why I picked Texas, even though I believe it will be a close game. OU’s O-line will have to play above its established performance to win.
I believe OU’s defense will play well. I don’t think Colt McCoy will get shut out, but there will be no repeat of 2008. No 38 offensive points for the Longhorns. OU’s cornerbacks are too good, OU’s front four won’t be pushed around and the Sooner linebackers are solid. So if the safeties play well, OU’s defense has a chance to really shine.
But I think OU’s offense could struggle, even with Sam Bradford. The pass receivers have to catch the ball. The line has to protect Bradford, which won’t be easy against Sergio Kindle and Co. And OU has to run.
DeMarco Murray and Chris Brown, really both of them, have to have big games. At least 150 yards, I’d say, and 200 wouldn’t hurt. In fact, let’s put parameters to it. If OU rushes for 150 yards, it wins. If OU rushes for less than 125, it loses. In between, we’ll see.
I think 150 is a tall order for this line, which frankly has not played well until Baylor. And even then, the O-line wasn’t dominant against an opponent you would think it could dominate.
All told, that’s why I’m picking Texas, 22-21.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients