Big 12 North: Wild, wild race
The leaders of the Big 12 North are Kansas State and Iowa State. When the sun rises next Sunday morning, the leaders might very well still be Kansas State and Iowa State. Who would have thought?
The crazy results of Saturday — Iowa State’s 9-7 upset of Nebraska in Lincoln; North favorites Nebraska, Missouri and Kansas all losing for the second straight week — means literally any of the six teams could play in Arlington, Texas, on Dec. 5.
Here are the six teams and their remaining schedules:
Kansas State 3-1: at OU, Kansas, Missouri, at Nebraska. If the Wildcats can sweep those two home games against KU and Mizzou, they will finish no worse than 5-3 and probably win the division. But if KSU splits those games, it could be looking at 4-4.
Iowa State 2-2: at Texas A&M, OSU, Colorado, at Missouri. The Cyclones, only one win shy of becoming bowl eligible, could go anywhere from 2-6 to 6-2. The best guess would be 4-4.
Kansas 1-2: at Texas Tech, at Kansas State, Nebraska, at Texas, Missouri in Kansas City. The Red Raiders suddenly seem vulnerable, but the Jayhawks have a rough schedule. Getting to 4-4 would be a major feat.
Nebraska 1-2: at Baylor, OU, at Kansas, Kansas State, at Colorado. Again, no telling. The Huskers play great defense and horrid offense. Nebraska should win in Waco, but otherwise, who knows? Again, 4-4 would be a solid finish.
Colorado 1-2: Missouri, A&M, at Iowa State, at OSU, Nebraska. I figured the Buffs had two automatic wins in conference — A&M and Iowa State. Not now, not after Saturday, when the Aggies rolled in Lubbock and I-State pulled the Lincoln shocker. I still think Colorado has an excellent chance to get to 4-4 or even 5-3.
Missouri 0-3: at Colorado, Baylor, at Kansas State, Iowa State, Kansas in KC. The schedule finally softens for Mizzou, but it might be too late. If the Tigers can win in Boulder, they just might play KU at the end of the season with a shot at the title. Lose to CU, and the season is in official free-fall.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 83911Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 66115Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33602Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 20416Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 18059Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 13064Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 9549Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 8530Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8480Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 8114Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients