Bedlam: Defenses strength of both OU, OSU
I ran into Kevin Wilson on Sunday night at the Thunder game. I asked him if he saw coming the Bedlam beatdown that resulted, 27-0 Sooners.
Wilson said his only concern was if OU’s offense could score enough. He figured the Sooners would shut down OSU’s offense. But he said something very interesting.
The strength of OSU’s team is its defense. Mike Gundy is the face of Cowboy football, and Gundy runs the OSU offense, and offense has carried the Cowboys for many years now. But in 2009, OSU’s defense is its best attribute.
Wilson said Bill Young has done a good job as OSU’s new defensive coordinator but offered another reason why the Cowboys have blossomed defensively: talented seniors. Andre Sexton, Patrick Lavine, Donald Booker, Perrish Cox, Terrance Anderson, Lucien Antione, Derek Burton, Swanson Miller and Jermiah Price. That’s nine solid seniors on the Cowboy defense. No real superstars, with the possible exception of Cox, but really good Big 12 players.
And indeed the OSU defense played well against Oklahoma. Not good enough. Especially with the OSU offense completely stuffed. Young’s crew needed an heroic performance to win Bedlam, needed to take the ball away from Landry Jones and Co. several times. OSU’s defense dominated the first quarter, but thereafter didn’t exert its well. The Cowboys needed more.
Same with the Texas game. OSU’s defense played a solid game against the Longhorns but got very little help from the offense and eventually ran out of gas.
Disappointing, but overall a solid trend for OSU, which had battled for defensive respectability for most of two decades. Of course, now the problem is replacing all those seniors that so impressed Wilson.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 88132Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 35601Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 5828Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 4402Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients