Huskers rout Arizona: Pac-10 continues to struggle
I picked Stanford to win the Sun Bowl. I think I’m in trouble.
The Pac-10 continues to struggle. Nebraska’s 33-0 rout of Arizona in the Holiday Bowl on Wednesday night is another flare that the Pac-10 is not the conference we thought it was. The Pac-10 now is 2-3 in bowl games, and its defenses are struggling. Utah beat California 37-27 in the Poinsettia Bowl and Brigham Young routed Oregon State 44-20 in the Las Vegas Bowl. Southern Cal’s defense played solid in a 24-13 victory over Boston College in the Emerald Bowl, but UCLA struggled to beat Temple 30-21, trailing until the final minutes.
Then Nebraska ran all over Arizona. The Huskers can play some defense, but they are offensively-challenged. Suddenly, the Pac-10′s defensive acumen seems dubious. That might mean a big day for Oklahoma in the Sun Bowl. Stanford’s defense is not stout, relative to the Pac-10, anyway.
I thought the Pac-10 was the second-best conference in college football this season, behind only the Southeastern Conference. The Pac-10 went 10-5 against other major-conference teams (BCS automatic-qualifying leagues, plus the Mountain West). That was better than even the SEC’s 9-5.
But updating the standings with the bowl games to date, the SEC is 10-6, the Pac-10 11-8, the Big East 8-8, the Big 12 9-10, the Mountain West 7-8, the Big Ten 6-7 and the ACC 11-15.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients