Holgorsen sounds like Leach
I listened to the Dana Holgorsen teleconference today — you can too; we have it on newsok.com at this link ( http://newsok.com/sports) — and it was interesting. The new Oklahoma State offensive coordinator talked about how he left Texas Tech for Houston because he wanted to call his own plays, so it wouldn’t make sense to leave Houston and NOT call his own plays. Said he hadn’t discussed contract length. Talked at length about how much he liked Kendall Hunter and would get the all-American tailback plenty of touches.
But here’s what struck me most about Holgorsen. He sounds just like Mike Leach. Not so much in content, though that too, but in cadence and voice inflection. Low key voice, which trails off on some thoughts. Sort of leaving you with the impression that everything he says is sort of matter of fact and just common sense, when in actuality it’s probably very complicated.
I mean it. They sound just alike. You know how they say some old married couples grow to start looking alike? Maybe it’s that way with coaches. Leach and Holgorsen spent 13 years together. Holgorsen was a player for Leach when he was offensive coordinator at Iowa Wesleyan, then Holgorsen was a fellow assistant coach with Leach at Valdosta State. Then when Leach was hired at Tech, he brought Holgorsen onto his staff.
That’s a lot of time together in meeting rooms and on practice fields, putting together a revolutionary offense. Sounds like Holgorsen has picked up plenty of Leach traits. If his offense works as well as Leach’s — and it certainly did at Houston U. — then OSU will be in good shape.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 26051Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17463Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 8771OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8410Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 8211UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7989Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7271Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6160Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5551Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4750Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients