Big 12 falters in NCAA Tournament
Barring the unlikely scenario that both Baylor and Kansas State make the Final Four, the Big 12 did not produce in the NCAA Tournament. The idea that the Big 12 was the nation’s best conference did not hold up. Here are my thoughts on the Big 12 teams:
Kansas: We can’t be too hard on the Jayhawks. Sure, KU had no business losing to Northern Iowa. But Kansas has carried the basketball load for the Big 12 for a long time; you can’t expect the Jayhawks to be invincible. KU’s loss is part of the Big 12 disappointment but by no means is it predominant.
Kansas State: Not too many better days for Wildcat fans than Saturday. They reached the Sweet 16 for the first time in 22 years and got to sit and watching Kansas lose in an epic upset. Now the Wildcats get Xavier in the regional semifinals. Won’t be easy. But not a huge mountain.
Baylor: Time to hand in your Baylor Bashing cards. The Bears in the Sweet 16? Talk about helping the conference. Baylor is running into a buzzsaw in Saint Mary’s, after victories over Old Dominion and Sam Houston State. I haven’t studied it, but you won’t find many teams that have reached a regional final without beating a team from a BCS conference.
Texas A&M:Massively disappointed in A&M. If the Aggies had beaten Purdue on Sunday, the Big 12 would be the most successful league in this NCAA. Let’s look at the record. Best record: Big 10 7-2, followed by the Pac-10 and West Coast Conference at 3-1, SEC 4-2, Big 12 7-5, Big East 6-6, ACC 5-5. The Big Ten has the most teams in the Sweet 16, with Purdue, Michigan State and Ohio State. Followed by the Big 12, Big East (Syracuse and West Virginia) and SEC (Tennessee and Kentucky). If A&M had beaten Purdue in that overtime game, the Big 12 would be 8-4, the Big Ten 6-3 and the Big 12 would have three in the Sweet 16. And A&M should have won. Purdue was playing without its best player.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients