Thunder-Lakers: Durant says he’s no Kobe
Kevin Durant says the Thunder doesn’t compare to the Lakers. Not in height, not in experience, not in titles, not in having a guy who can go off in the fourth quarter with a scoring explosion and then rise above everyone and hit a game-winning jumpshot.
Wait, a minute. Some would say that’s exactly what the Thunder has, in Durant. A scoring machine.
“I’m not there,” Durant said. “I wish, but I’m not there yet.”
And he’s telling it straight. Durant is the equal of Kobe Bryant in scoring, but Durant hasn’t yet proven to be a final-minute assassin. Kobe has. No bigger stage on which to make that claim than the Staples Center and a Laker playoff series.
Durant was bombarded in the pregame locker room by Los Angeles media. This is a stage unlike he’s been on. The NCAA Tournament, Durant said, “is nowhere near as intense as this.”
But Durant said when you cut all the glitz away, “it’ll be basketball. It’s going to be intense. The players are excited. But it’s a basketball game. A lot of people say the atmosphere is different. It might be, but it’s still basketball.”
The Thunder keeps getting told it’s a young team, and Durant pled guilty to the charge. “Until we get 30, it’s not going to change,” said the 21-year-old.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24367Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 12839Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7010OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5994OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5476Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5061Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3886Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3822Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3626Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3264Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients