Big 12 football: Shame on Texas Tech
Texas Tech has pulled out of its scheduled game at TCU this September. Instead, the Red Raiders added a home game against Texas State. And this wasn’t even trying to add more home games. Tech switched its home game against New Mexico to Albuquerque.
This is a terrible development for the Big 12. Is this what the new league has in mind? Dumbing down its non-conference schedules? Is this the Big 12 response to Oklahoma playing a big-time non-conference schedule and Texas starting to do the same? Get rid of any game that could have any kind of September interest?
Very disappointing. Tech once played a big-time non-conference schedule. Under Mike Leach, the Red Raiders softened it up. Looks like that won’t change under Tommy Tuberville.
Tech-TCU is a natural-rivalry game that would draw high interest. OU is playing at TCU in 2012 as a payback for the 2008 game in Norman. Baylor played the Horned Frogs last season. Texas has played TCU in the recent past.
Just because the Frogs have turned into a national power is no reason to avoid them. It’s more reason to play them.
Big 12 football is not going to prosper by avoiding games like this. Big 12 football will prosper only by playing games like this. Maybe Tech hasn’t done the math, but its schedule got easier with the new 10-team Big 12. Tech still plays the Big 12 South (ouch!) but now gets four games against the North instead of three, and none of them are with Nebraska.
Getting out of contracted games is dishonorable, so shame on Tech for that alone. But getting out of contracted games like Tech-TCU is bad business, too.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 34667Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 26962Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6958OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6745Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4485OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4208Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3679College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3494Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3437Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3281Oklahoma softball: Keilani Ricketts and Sooners beat the heat as they hold off Arkansas
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients