OSU football: Waiting on a coordinator
Mike Gundy has known for at least six weeks he needs a new offensive coordinator, and still Oklahoma State football waits to see who will run its 2011 offense.
No harm, really, in taking your time, though it’s unusual. Gundy has said he wants to focus on recruiting, but that seems odd, that recruits wouldn’t want to know who will be in charge of their offense. It’s possible that Gundy has told some high-profile recruits of his plans, but that kind of thing usually leaks out, so it’s not likely.
The job is a great job — it has become a launching pad to a head coaching position, and at least in 2011 the Cowboys are well-stocked on offense. Someone should come in and have immediate success.
I have no idea what Gundy will do. He’s kept it remarkably quiet. The only way Gundy will lose the court of public opinion is if he hires himself, as he did in December 2007 when Larry Fedora took the Southern Miss job. That worked well for awhile, then went south, and Gundy turned to Holgorsen.
I don’t see Gundy trying to be his own coordinator again. The benefits of a head coach being a full-time head coach were abundantly clear this past season, and Gundy talked extensively about that.
I’m not one of these guys who believes Boone Pickens ordered Gundy to hire a coordinator. I know a lot of people buy that, but I just don’t see it. That’s not Mike Holder’s style, and I think when it comes to football, Pickens trusts Holder.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 79546Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30543Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 28179Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 26729Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7711Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7142Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7088Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 7050Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 6632Oklahoma storms: 2 Shawnee men victims of deadly tornado
- 6243Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients