Switzer tales: Touting Troy Aikman
Former Texas coach David McWilliams attended the Texas High School Football Hall of Fame inductions on May 8. His Longhorn quarterback in 1989-91, Peter Gardere, was among the honorees. Gardere went on to QB for John Mackovic in 1992 and finished 4-0 against the Sooners.
The Texas contingent to support Gardere was limited mostly to McWilliams, who has worked in UT’s administration since he was fired to make way for Mackovic. In fact, a couple of hours before the banquet in Waco, Texas, McWilliams was invited to join the huge OU contingent – Barry Switzer, nine former Sooner players and former assistants Gene Hochever and Rex Norris – that had assembled to honor Thomas Lott, OU’s 1976-78 quarterback who also was inducted.
McWilliams lingered in the Hilton lounge listening to all the old stories. He chimed in only once, to say he appreciated Switzer. McWilliams said that in spring 1986, when Troy Aikman was planning to transfer from OU, Switzer called McWilliams, who had just become head coach at Texas Tech. Switzer told McWilliams he should give Aikman a call.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 23122Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10571Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6943OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5977OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5278Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5014Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3834Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3753Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3593Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3185Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients