All-College: Don’t give up on Bedlam
The 2010 All-College matchups have been announced, and it’s a solid doubleheader: OSU-Alabama and OU-Cincinnati. Could be a lot worse and has been.
But it still would have been fun to have made the 75th All-College a total Bedlam affair. OU-OSU women, followed by OSU-OU men. A non-conference Bedlam showdown remains an idea whose time has come, for all the reasons I’ve listed before.
A December Bedlam game in Oklahoma City would jumpstart college basketball interest in a state that historically, even in the best of hoop times, hasn’t reached high gear until January. In these days of beleaguered OU basketball, an extra Bedlam game is even more needed.
A December Bedlam game would be a good early-season pressure test for players who are mostly pampered by the pre-New Year’s schedule. Abundant home games against pushover teams, mixed in with only occasional tough matchups.
Cincinnati and Alabama certainly qualify as legitimate foes, but a game against your arch-rival would add even more atmosphere to the Ford Center. College basketball is suffering from a dearth of meaningful games. The rousing success of the NCAA Tournament comes at a cost; it dwarfs the regular season. And the dumbed-down scheduling practices of almost every major school means that the conference schedule overshadows the non-conference.
College basketball’s November and December has become a virtual exhibition season. A Bedlam All-College would go a long way to changing that.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 77840Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16227OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13741Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12057Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11953Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 11115Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 11023Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified
- 9407How to help tornado victims
- 8455Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8294Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients