Thunder: Bob Ryan writes about Perkins
Bob Ryan is Mr. Boston Basketball. You might know him from his work on ESPN’s “The Sports Reporters,” but he’s been a New England journalism mainstay since 1969, when at the age of 23 he took over the Celtics beat for the Boston Globe.
Ryan has been writing general columns since the mid-’80s but remains a Boston basketball guru, and his take on the Celtics is always well-informed.
He is one of the few Boston/national analysts who likes the trade from the Celtics standpoint, but that doesn’t mean he thinks the Thunder came out looking bad.
“There will be no Perk bashing here. He is a classic young/old pro, a determined, hard-working 26-year-old man who came to the Celtics as the proverbial unpolished gem out of Clifton Ozen High School in Beaumont, Texas, nearly eight years ago and who did everything that was ever asked of him, and a whole lot more, to become the presence on an NBA floor he is today.
“Perhaps the Celtics thought he had reached his ceiling. I don’t know. Perhaps his next contract negotiations were going to be an issue. I don’t know. Perhaps there was no yeah-but whatsoever, only the desire to add a major 24-year-old asset such as Jeff Green to the roster. Again, I don’t know.
“I do know it’s risky for the team ranked 29th in rebounds per game to shed itself of one of its two best rebounders. That said, Kevin Durant will like coming off Perk’s picks; I can promise you that.”
Here’s the link to Ryan’s full column:
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16150OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 14605Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10995Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 9399Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 9121'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 8921Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 7695Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7584Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 7477Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7078Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients