Kansas football: Ranking the Jayhawks in the NFL
Today we’ll list the top NFL careers of Kansas Jayhawks — and this is a fun list, because for all of its non-tradition in football, KU has turned out way more than its share of great players. Remember, we’re using the career value ranking set by profootball-reference.com. For comparison, an all-time great like Emmitt Smith had a 129.
1. John Hadl 98: 14-year pro starter and one of the landmark players in the old AFL, with the Chargers in the ’60s.
2. John Riggins 91: Hall of Fame running back ran the 1982 Redskins to the Super Bowl title.
3. Mike McCormack 80: Cleveland Brown lineman in the 1950s made the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Later head coach of the Eagles, Colts and Seahawks.
4. LeRoy Irvin 73: Made 123 starts at cornerback for the Rams (1980-90), with 35 career interceptions. Also returned four punts for touchdowns.
5. Dana Stubblefield 73: Star defensive tackle on ’95 49ers, who won the Super Bowl. Made 149 starts over 11 NFL seasons.
6. Nolan Cromwell 72: Great wishbone quarterback of the ’70s became a star safety over 11-year Ram career, thrice making first-team all-pro.
7. Larry Brown 68: 14-year Steeler, 1971-84 (yep, the glory years), the first half as a blocking tight end, then as a right tackle.
8. Galen Fiss 62: 11-year Brown linebacker, 1956-66.
9. John Zook 61: 11-year pro, 1969-79. Probably underrated on this list; was a big-time defensive end for the Falcons.
10. Delvin Williams 57: Great ’70s tailback played eight years in the NFL, gaining 1,203 yards for the ’76 49ers and 1,258 yards for the ’78 Dolphins.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 33271Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 24362Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6895OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6548Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4476OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4156Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3398Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3362Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3190Oklahoma City Thunder: The time has come for OKC's young players
- 3174Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients