Missouri football: Ranking the Mizzou NFL careers
Continuing our series of ranking the NFL careers of alums from a variety of schools, today’s let’s do Missouri. Remember, we’re using profootball-reference.com’s career approximate value method. A 100 score is a really good player. Likely Hall of Famer. A 120 is an epic player. An 80 is still really good.
Here are the ex-Tigers:
1. Russ Washington 99: 15-year pro started out at defensive tackle for the 1968 and 1969 Chargers, then moved to the offensive line and started 13 more years. Made 196 NFL starts, a phenomenal number.
2. Roger Wehrli 98: Hall of Fame cornerback with the St. Louis Cardinals, played 14 years and made 40 interceptions. Three-time first-team all pro.
3. Andy Russell 88: Great Steeler linebacker (1963-76) played long enough to enjoy Pittsburgh success in Super Bowls 9 and 10.
4. Kellen Winslow 80: Hall of Fame tight end with San Diego (1979-87) who made 541 catches and twice led the NFL in receptions. Three-time first-team all pro.
5. Justin Smith 65: Excellent pass rusher just completed his 10th NFL season. Defensive end has 65 career sacks with the Bengals and 49ers.
6. James Wilder 64: Ten-year tailback (1981-90) rushed for 6,008 yards, including two seasons of at least 1,300 yards with Tampa Bay.
7. Mel Gray 63: Big-play receiver in 12 seasons with the Cardinals (1971-82), averaged 18.9 yards per catch, tied for 20th-best in NFL history. All pro once.
8. Tony Galbreath 57: 12-year running back (1976-87) who rushed for more than 4,000 career yards with the Saints, Vikings and Giants.
9. Eric Wright 55: Cornerback cornerstone on Bill Walsh’s 49er dynasty; drafted in 1981 and started 16 games as a rookie as San Francisco won the Super Bowl. Made all-pro in 1985 and played 10 years in the NFL.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15818Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 15704Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11547Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11243'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10839Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9666OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 7447Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6917Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6738Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6691Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients