Big 12: Arkansas & Notre Dame dreamland
The Lawrence Journal-World reported Wednesday that Jerry Jones wants to bring Arkansas, his alma mater, and Notre Dame to the Big 12. Hey, I’m not going to laugh at it. In this world where the Pac-10 invited Oklahoma State to join and Nebraska is now in the Big Ten, I guess anything is possible.
We’ve already heard that Memphis-based FedEx is so committed to bolstering the University of Memphis that it offered $10 million in incentives to any major conference that would admit Memphis U. FedEx denied the report, but it rang true to me. So businessmen getting involved in realignment is not crazy talk.
And I’ll bet Jones does want Arkansas in the Big 12, playing the schools it used to play. He’s already engineered an Arkansas-Texas A&M series at JerryWorld, so why not get even more involved?
But here’s the kicker. Jones has a better chance of landing Notre Dame than he does Arkansas.
Forget Arkansas. The Razorbacks are solidly in the SEC . No school is leaving the SEC or the Big Ten. It’s too profitable. Too stable. Too prestigious. It makes sense, sure, that Arkansas belongs in a league with whom it’s tied geographically (Oklahoma schools, Kansas schools, Missouri) and historically (Texas schools). But that ship has passed.
But Notre Dame? First off, Notre Dame is not joining the Big 12. But Wednesday, I was told that the Big 12 has at least considered standing ready in case the Big East implodes and leaves Notre Dame without a non-football home.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients