NCAA Tournament: Big 12 has company
The Big 12 is having a miserable NCAA Tournament. But the Big 12 has some company. The Big East is gasping, too.
Among the major conferences, the Big 12 has the worst NCAA record this season — 4-4. But the Big 12 is matched by, yes, the Big East, which is 9-9.
Think about that. The Big East had 11 teams placed into the 68-team bracket but has pushed fewer teams into the Sweet 16 than has the ACC, which had just four teams in the tournament. The Big East has Marquette and Connecticut; the ACC has Duke, North Carolina and Florida State.
Ironically, the Big East’s two regional semifinalists had to beat fellow Big East teams to advance — Marquette over Syracuse, UConn over Cincinnati. You could argue that such a packed bracket kept the Big East from perhaps having four in the Sweet 16. Or you could argue that such a packed bracket is what helped the Big East get any into the second weekend.
Here are the conference records: ACC 7-1 (three in the Sweet 16); Big Ten 7-5 (two); SEC 4-3 (two); Pac-10 4-3 (one); Big East 9-9 (two); Big 12 4-4 (one). Among the mid-majors, the Mountain West is 4-1 (two), the Colonial 4-2 (one) and the Atlantic-10 3-2 (one).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13258OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7144Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7131Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6694Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6025Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5256Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 4093As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3907Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 3578OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients