NCAA Tournament: Big 12 has company
The Big 12 is having a miserable NCAA Tournament. But the Big 12 has some company. The Big East is gasping, too.
Among the major conferences, the Big 12 has the worst NCAA record this season — 4-4. But the Big 12 is matched by, yes, the Big East, which is 9-9.
Think about that. The Big East had 11 teams placed into the 68-team bracket but has pushed fewer teams into the Sweet 16 than has the ACC, which had just four teams in the tournament. The Big East has Marquette and Connecticut; the ACC has Duke, North Carolina and Florida State.
Ironically, the Big East’s two regional semifinalists had to beat fellow Big East teams to advance — Marquette over Syracuse, UConn over Cincinnati. You could argue that such a packed bracket kept the Big East from perhaps having four in the Sweet 16. Or you could argue that such a packed bracket is what helped the Big East get any into the second weekend.
Here are the conference records: ACC 7-1 (three in the Sweet 16); Big Ten 7-5 (two); SEC 4-3 (two); Pac-10 4-3 (one); Big East 9-9 (two); Big 12 4-4 (one). Among the mid-majors, the Mountain West is 4-1 (two), the Colonial 4-2 (one) and the Atlantic-10 3-2 (one).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 82753Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 43754Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33000Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 23187Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 22920Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8406Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8041Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 7870Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7493Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 7427Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients