Big 12 football: A&M embraces 3-4
Time was, Texas A&M was known for its defense. The Wrecking Crew. That defense was a 3-4 alignment.
That’s what Aggie coach Mike Sherman wants A&M to get back to. The Ags will run the 3-4 this season.
“I wanted to get back to a 3-4 defense, because I think we can recruit to that structure,” Sherman said. “A&M has a history in the 3-4 defense. We’ve had a great history of linebacker play in the 3-4 defense in the state of Texas. I felt like we could find four quality linebackers who could impact our defense.
“It’s harder and harder to find the big guys inside, and so that plays to our strength.”
Sherman went to an unlikely place to find his 3-4 defensive coordinator: Air Force. Sherman hired away Tim DeRuyter from Air Force. Sherman said he wanted a coordinator who had had success in a league with offenses like the Big 12′s, and the Mountain West qualifies.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 77840Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16227OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13741Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12057Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11953Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 11115Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 11023Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified
- 9407How to help tornado victims
- 8455Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8294Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients