Big 12 football: Gill, Gundy share a bond
Kansas coach Turner Gill (on Wednesday) and Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy (Tuesday) both showed up at Big 12 Media Days wearing paisley ties. But their similarities go far past wardrobe.
Gill was the greatest quarterback in Big Eight history. Gundy was the leading passer in Big Eight history. Now both are head coaches in the Big 12.
Gill was a 13-year assistant coach at his alma mater, Nebraska, where Gill quarterbacked three straight Big Eight titles (1981-83). He became head coach at Buffalo in 2006 and was hired at Kansas this off-season.
Gill said his quarterbacking days helped prepare him to coach. “Being able to have poise and confidence under pressure,” Gill said. “Being able to handle adversity, being able to problem-solve. That’s what you have to do as a quarterback, and that’s what you have to do as an assistant coach and a head coach. If you’re not able to problem-solve…”
Gill said Nebraska coaching legend Tom Osborne got him into coaching. Osborne asked Gill to come out as a graduate assistant while Gill was playing in the Canadian Football League. “Why don’t you try it,” Osborne said.
Gill said he was skeptical: “Didn’t think you could still have that competitivness as a coach. But I liked it.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 31040Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15616Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10323Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9726Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9655Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8284Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8255Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7508Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7162Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6434UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients