Big 12 football: Stoops feisty over ‘Texas problem’
Bob Stoops got a little feisty during Big 12 Media Days when I asked him about his “Texas problem.”
Back during OU’s domination of the Longhorns, 2000-04, Mack Brown would extoll the virtues of his program and said if Texas could just solve its “Oklahoma problem,” everything would be fine. Now the ‘Horns have beaten OU four out of five years, so I asked Stoops, who has an otherwise superb program, if he had a “Texas problem.”
That got Stoops all fired up. In a way, he didn’t mind the question, because it gave him a chance to make his championship speech. Which is entirely correct. The Sooners have won three of the last four Big 12 titles.
“The goal is to win the Big 12 championship,” Stoops said. “Three of the last four years, we won the Big 12 championship, including three in a row. No one else has even won back to back. Somehow, this (Texas) has been a problem. If you’re going to write it, write the rest of the story.
“My point isn’t just to beat Texas. Our goal is to win the Big 12 championship. And we’ve been to four national championship games, too. What we’re doing, I don’t know if it’s a problem or not. That’s pretty good if it is.”
This was great stuff. Stoops wasn’t mad, just feisty. I’ve got to write my column on this subject for tomorrow’s Oklahoman. Can’t wait to ask Mack about it, how he overcame his “Oklahoma problem” and does Stoops have a “Texas problem”?
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 21842Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 19892Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7892Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
- 7794Oklahoma storms: 2 Shawnee men victims of deadly tornado
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients