Big 12 football: Mack Brown says UT will improve schedule
With the Big 12 headed for a nine-game conference schedule starting in 2011, much talk has centered on how schools will schedule non-conference. And Texas coach Mack Brown says the Longhorns will beef up their slate.
In recent years, UT has backed off its schedule. The Longhorns are playing UCLA this season, but since a home-and-home series with Ohio State in 20005-06, UT has played mostly rumdums.
“We’ve gotta look at strength of schedule,” Brown said. “We’ve at getting more Ohio State-type matchups for the future.”
Brown said the loss of the Big 12 title game motivates Texas to increase its schedule, because of the loss of a marquee, profile stage.
Brown said realignment possibilities in the last year has been a big problem for athletic directors trying to schedule. Schools don’t know how many games they might need. Texas, for instance, might have to get ride of games in 2011 or 2012.
OU’s recent scheduling philosophy has been different from Texas’. OU played BYU and Miami last season. The Sooners play Florida State and Cincinnati this season. Florida State and TCU await next year. The rest of the decade, OU has series scheduled with Notre Dame, Tennessee, LSU and Ohio State.
Someone asked Bob Stoops if he would consider playing Nebraska non-conference, after the Huskers jump to the Big Ten. Sure, Stoops said, “if you get rid of Florida State and Cincinnati and Notre Dame and Tennessee, all the other people we’re playing. See if you guys can get that done.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 26273Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 15002Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7114OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5706Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5522OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4689Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3649Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3600Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3343Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3206Oklahoma City Thunder: The time has come for OKC's young players
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients