Big 12 football: Bob Stoops touts O-line
Bob Stoops hasn’t been afraid to temper his enthusiasm about his offensive line in years past. So it was significant Wednesday when Stoops expressed quite a bit of optimism about his blocking wall.
“The way they worked through the winter and through all our conditioning and lifting and strength training, and then the way they competed in the spring,” Stoops said of what has him excited.
“We have, year in and year out, have a fairly good defensive line, and I thought they were toe to toe with them all the time and competed with them well. So the way they finished the year a year ago, I think all of that together gives us an opportunity to be optimistic.”
Senior Cory Brandon, who started seven of 13 games at offensive tackle last season, is not listed on the preseason two-deep depth chart for OU. Stoops said Brandon would be in the mix for playing time, but Brandon’s summer demotion is an indication of a lack of voluntary-workout commitment and OU’s increased depth.
OU lists Donald Stephenson and Eric Mensik as the No. 1 tackles, Stephen Good and Tyler as the No. 1 guards, and Ben Habern at center. The backups are listed as Jarvis Jones and Josh Aladenoye at tackle, Bronson Irwin and Gabe Ikard at guard, and Brian Lepak at center.
“I really believe our offensive line has a chance to be better than what people think,” Stoops said.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients