Thunder: Mavericks waiting on OKC-Memphis winner?
The Mavericks’ two-game sweep of its trip to Los Angeles means a few things:
1. Dallas is in position to get some rest before the Western Conference Finals. If the Mavs could finish out the series in Dallas — a big if — then Dallas could have several days off, waiting for the Thunder and Grizzlies to slug it out in the other semifinal. Rest is important to these Mavs, I think, with so many old guys. Jason Kidd is 38. Jason Terry is 33. Shawn Marion turns 33 this week. Dirk Nowitzki turns 33 during the NBA Finals. Peja Stojakovic turns 34 during the NBA Finals and plays like he’s 69.
2. I don’t know how Memphis feels, but the Thunder might be better suited playing the Lakers. I know, it makes no sense. But the Thunder was built to contest LA. Kendrick Perkins is the perfect player to beat the Lakers. But Dallas? Not so much. The Thunder had an antidote for the Lakers’ superstar, Kobe Bryant. Thabo Sefolosha at least gets in Kobe’s way. I guess the Thunder would start out Serge Ibaka on Dirk, with Nick Collison helping out a bunch, too. Maybe even some Thabo. But the Thunder chances of slowing Kobe were greater than the Thunder chances of slowing Dirk.
3. Just wondering, but could the Grizzlies’ Shane Battier chase Dirk for awhile? I don’t like the Zach Randolph-on-Dirk matchup. That spells trouble for Memphis. But Battier might could give Nowitzki some trouble for awhile.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17205Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9411Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9383Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6982Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6824Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6294Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6021UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6010Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients