OU football: DeMarco Murray chases scoring record
In today’s Oklahoman, I wrote about DeMarco Murray’s chase of the OU rushing record. But reader Chris Putnam points out that Murray also is chasing the Sooners’ scoring record. And it’s a record Murray has a lot better chance to set.
Murray has 270 career points; 45 touchdowns. The OU career leader in both points and TDs is Steve Owens, who scored 342 points and 57 touchdowns. Amazingly, in those days before overtime, Owens never scored a 2-point conversion. One of the all-time greats at getting four yards never scored a 2-point conversion? What were you thinking, Chuck Fairbanks and Barry Switzer?
Anyway, Murray needs 12 touchdowns to tie Owens in both points and touchdowns and needs 13 to break both records. Murray has averaged 15 TDs a year, while sharing time with Allen Patrick and Chris Brown.
Not as much platooning is expected this season, so this is a record Murray absolutely should break, barring injury.
Murray is benefited from more games. Owens scored his points in 32 career games. Murray already has played 36 career games, though I count it as 35 since he suffered a torn hamstring on the opening kickoff the 2008 Big 12 championship game.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients