OSU football: Who will come after Gundy?
Mike Gundy is certainly in line for national coach of the year. His Cowboys are in the driver’s seat for the Big 12 South title, a flag won by only OU and Texas since 1999, and by any stretch of the imagination, OSU is bordering on an historic and special season.
You know what that means. Some schools will come after Gundy.
But here’s the good news for OSU. I don’t see Gundy leaving.
This OSU job is not the same kind of job that prompted Jimmy Johnson to leave for Miami (no-brainer) or Les Miles to leave for LSU (some-brainer). This OSU job is better than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago.
This OSU job includes pristine facilities, competitive salaries and an established landscape of winning. Not championships, mind you, but winning.
So while there are jobs better than OSU in college football, there aren’t a bunch. And those that are somewhat better — let’s say the Auburn, Oregon, Iowa family of jobs – aren’t good enough to make Gundy leave what he described as his “New York Yankee” job when he was hired.
That leaves only the most elite of jobs — Texas, USC, Florida, Penn State, that crowd — as jobs that could entice Gundy. And those don’t come open very often or get offered when they do.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 34808Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 28627Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6992Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6680OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4639Tornadoes hit Kan., Okla.; no injuries reported
- 3921OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 3855Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3630College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3354Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3230Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients