OU football: Kevin Wilson should coach the bowl game
As I write this, we are about 100 minutes before the Indiana press conference announcing Kevin Wilson as the Hoosiers’ new football coach. I have not learned yet for sure whether Wilson will coordinate the Sooner offense through the Fiesta Bowl, though early speculation is that he would not.
So let me address the issue either way. Wilson should coach OU’s offense against Connecticut, just as every coach, assistant or head, who leaves his school for another job should coach through a bowl game.
Not because the previous school needs him or can’t get along without him. But because it’s the right thing to do.
The culture of coaches bailing out on their teams before the season is complete runs counter to everything football coaches stress. Teamwork. Dedication. Finish.
And yet, coaches get another job in December and hit the road. Some are serial team-jumpers. Brian Kelly, for instance. Kelly coached Central Michigan to the 2006 Motor City Bowl, then left his team before that game so he could start his new gig as head coach at Cincinnati. Kelly coached the Bearcats to great heights, including a Sugar Bowl game last season against Florida, in which Cincy entered undefeated. It was the biggest game in Cincinnati history. Yet Kelly wasn’t there. He was already at work for Notre Dame.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 81977Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32354Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 27598Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 23828Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 15915Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 8307Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7696Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7650Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 7465Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 7362Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients