OSU football: Cowboys need an 11-win season
Some say college football teams don’t have a lot to play for in the minor bowl games. The Oklahoma State Cowboys say different. So does history.
OSU plays Arizona in the Dec. 29 Alamo Bowl, and the Cowboys have a chance to reach 11 victories. That’s no small thing in Stillwater.
“No one has ever had an opportunity to win 11 around here,” said State defensive coordinator Bill Young, an OSU alum. “If we win 11, it would be very special to this squad. So we have to take care of that.”
Young is correct. Not only has OSU never won 11 games in a year, it’s never played a game with the chance to reach 11. The Cowboys have reached 10 wins four times, but all four times by winning their bowl game.
“They have a chance to win 11 games,” said another Cowboy alum, head coach Mike Gundy. “That’s a big deal, even for the coaches. That’s the most important thing, winning 11 games. Finish the season on a winning note. My concern right now is our football team and their opportunity to win 11 games.”
Here’s why it’s important for OSU to scale such milestones. Of the 66 schools in BCS conferences, only 18 have failed to reach 11 wins in a season.
Some of the schools on that list are who you’d expect: Iowa State, Indiana, Duke, Vanderbilt and South Florida not only have zero 11-win seasons, but no 10-win seasons.
Some of the schools aren’t much better: Purdue (one 10-win season), Connecticut (one), Virginia (one), Baylor (one), Northwestern (two), Mississippi State (two).
Some of the schools are respectable football programs. UCLA, California, Ole Miss and South Carolina never have had an 11-win season.
If OSU beats Arizona and gets to 11-2, here are the programs it would join in having one 11-win season in its history: Kansas, Kentucky, Arizona, Stanford, Oregon State, Wake Forest, North Carolina State and Michigan State.
Not tall cotton, but better than being grouped with Indiana and Vanderbilt.
An 11-win season is not nirvanna. It does not define a program. All kinds of other criteria determine a program’s quality: championships, bowl games, winning seasons, 10-win seasons, nine-win seasons. Michigan State and North Carolina State have each had one 11-win season, and the Spartans’ came in this very season, but Michigan State clearly has the superior program and superior tradition to N.C. State.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10625Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9988Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9782Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6778Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4215Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4087Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3968Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3762Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 3633OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients