OU football: Sooners rise from the ’09 ashes
Bob Stoops gathered his team before this season and made a point. No Sam Bradford, no Jermaine Gresham, no Brody Eldridge. But don’t forget, the Sooners didn’t have those guys last year, during the injury malaise that struck the Sooners.
Look around, Stoops said. Basically the same guys OU played with last year, OU would play with this year. ”Let’s face it,” Stoops said. “Those seniors, we lost ‘em a year ago.”
So Stoops had a question: “What are going to do to change? How do we go from an 8-5 team to a championship team?” Stoops’ asked the Sooners to work hard. Beef up the attitude. To accept coaching. To be tough.
It’s an interesting point, except for two things. The Sooners weren’t playing with the same roster. On defense, they lost both defensive tackles and both cornerbacks, which means rebuilding at the two most important positions on a defense. Tackle G.K. McCoy was the No. 3 pick in the draft, and Adrian Taylor’s gruesome Sun Bowl injury rendered him an ineffective player in 2010. Plus, cornerbacks Brian Jackson and Dom Franks moved on to the NFL.
And while OU played Bedlam 2009 without offensive tackle Trent Williams, the No. 4 pick in the draft, the Sooners had Williams for 12 games. So there were a lot of holes in the lineup.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15918Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8813OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6389Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5669Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5503OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4915Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4833Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3560Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3491Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3466As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients