Thunder: Dirk vs. Durant ‘historic’
The word “historical” was thrown around quite a bit Wednesday during the Dallas Mavericks’ media session. The Dirk Nowitzki (48 points)/Kevin Durant (40 points) shootout still had even long-time NBA observers marveling.
“Historic, historic game,” said the Mavs’ Jason Terry, a 12-year veteran, of the Mavs’ 121-112 victory Tuesday night.
A lot of people have compared it to Game 7 of the 1988 Eastern Conference semifinals, when Dominique Wilkins scored 47 points on 19 of 23 shooting, but Larry Bird scored 34 points, including 20 in the fourth quarter, to lift Boston to a 118-116 victory over Atlanta.
“I wouldn’t quite call it ‘Nique and Bird,” Terry said, but that’s probably because it didn’t include Boston.
This was the first NBA playoff game since 2009 with opposing players reaching 40 points. Back in ’09, Nowitzki scored 44 and Carmelo had 41 in Dallas’ 119-117 Game 4 victory over Denver.
Dirk and Durant made for a fabulously entertaining game, and while the Thunder’s defeat makes winning these Western Conference Finals more difficult, it remained something special to behold.
Dallas center Tyson Chandler called it “definitely” special.
Mavs coach Rick Carlisle said it’s “very unusual to have two guys like this in the same series. We have great respect for Durant. He carries himself like a guy who’s been around for 85-90 playoff games.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14862OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11951Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8347Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6661Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6166Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5685Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4422Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 4121Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4098'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
- 4034Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients