College athletics: Football rules
We always knew football ruled collegiate athletics. Then the point was hammered home last summer, when the Big 12 almost disintegrated and proud basketball schools like Kansas, Missouri and Kansas State had no solid landing place.
But in case any skeptics remain, here’s your proof. In the 2009-10 school year, University of Kentucky basketball, with 23,000-seat Rupp Arena and a fan base that ranks as the most passionate in America, made a profit of $5.2 million. Which is very impressive. Make more than $5 million off hoops? Outstanding. Meanwhile, Kentucky football, which probably is the SEC’s ninth- or 10th-most prestigious football program, made $17.98 million.
Those are the figures reported by businessofcollegesports.com.
The 20 most profitable sports in the NCAA are all football: 1. Texas $68.8M; 2. Georgia $52.5M; 3. Penn State $50.4M; 4. Michigan $44.8M; 5. Florida $44.2M; 6. LSU $43.2M; 7. Alabama $40.7M; 8. Tennessee $39.2M; 9. Auburn $38.2M; 10. Oklahoma $38.1M; 11. South Carolina $35.4M; 12. Notre Dame $34.6M; 13. Nebraska $32.0M; 14. Ohio State $31.9M; 15. Iowa $27.3M; 16. Michigan State $26.9M; 17. Arkansas $26.5M; 18. Texas A&M $25.3M; 19. Kentucky $17.9M; 20. Oklahoma State $17.3M.
The only basketball programs in the top 40 are Louisville (21st), Duke (29th), North Carolina (31st), Arizona (33rd) and Ohio State (34rd).
OU basketball checked in at 93rd, with $2.9 million profit. OSU basketball checked in at No. 100, with $2.6 million profit.
So here are the rankings for Big 12 football profits: 1. Texas; 2. OU; 3. Texas A&M; 4. OSU; 5. Missouri ($11.6M); 6. Texas Tech ($11.5M); 7. Iowa State $6.6M; 8. Kansas State $6.4M; 9. Baylor $1.8M; 10. Kansas $1.6M.
And here are the rankings for Big 12 basketball profits: 1. Texas $6.7M; 2. Kansas $5.1M; 3. Missouri $4.1M; 4. OU $2.9M; 5. Texas A&M $2.8M; 6. Iowa State $2.6M; 7. OSU $2.6M; 8. Kansas State $2.1M; 9. Texas Tech $1.6M; 10. Baylor ($92,000 in the hole).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 63590Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38050Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 34916Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13810Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12686Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients