Bedlam football: New coaches await
Twenty-three major-college football programs changed coaches since last season. None are in the Big 12, or at least won’t be in 2011. Colorado fired Dan Hawkins and hired Jon Embree, but Embree is now the Pac-10′s problem.
And yet, both the Sooners and Cowboys will face two new head coaches each.
Both teams play Tulsa, where Bill Blankenship takes over from Todd Graham, who went to Pitt. OU also plays Ball State, where Pete Lembo replaces the fired Stan Parrish. OSU also plays Louisiana-Lafayette, where Mark Hudspeth replaces the fired Ricky Bustle.
It’s too bad Parrish got fired at Ball State. He went 6-19 in two seasons, so it’s not surprising. But Parrish is a coaching lifer. He was head coach at Kansas State 1986-88. He was KSU’s coach just before Bill Snyder; Parrish went 2-30-1 in three years at K-State and lost to OU 56-10, 59-10 and 70-24.
It’s rare for a league to make no coaching changes — and the Big 12 wouldn’t be on the list had Colorado not jumped league.
The last two years, the Big East has taken coaching changes to an extreme. This season, Dana Holgorsen has replaced Bill Stewart at West Virginia; Graham has replaced Dave Wannstedt at Pitt, unless you count Michael Haywood, who held the job for two weeks before a domestic abuse allegation cost him his new job; and Paul Pasqualoni has replaced Randy Edsall at Connecticut. The Big East also had three coaching changes a year ago (Skip Holtz in at South Florida, Butch Jones in at Cincinnati and Charlie Strong in at Louisville). That makes Syracuse’s Doug Marrone, with two years on the job, the No. 2-ranking Big East coach, behind only Rutgers’ Greg Schiano.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 33746Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15554Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10129Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9883Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8114Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8089Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7436Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6757Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6289UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients