Big 12 football: Texas Tech switching defense
Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville has been in the Big 12 one year. Long enough to make him switch his defense. The Red Raiders are switching to a four-man front after basing out of a three-man front in 2010.
Tuberville said Tuesday during Big 12 football media days that after facing Big 12 offenses, “two things you need in this league, you have to have a very good pass rusher coming from the outside and you have to have two very good corners.” Tuberville said his goal is to hold opponents to 21 points or less. Without that pass rusher and the solid cornerbacks, “you’ve got no chance,” Tuberville said. “You better outscore ‘em.”
Tuberville has hired Chad Glasgow as defensive coordinator. Glasgow spent 10 years at TCU.
“It’s all about depth and speed on defense,” Tuberville said. Last season, Tech ended up running a bunch of nickle defense (five defensive backs). So Tech will run a 4-2-5 base defense.
“Really not a lot of difference, other than we’re going to base out of it,” Tuberville said. “The whole philosophy of defense is getting as much speed as you can on defense. You play Oklahoma, you play Texas A&M last year, they just run you down. Reminds me of defenses when we played well (at Auburn). That’s what you have to have to win championships.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 4515Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4167Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4139Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients