Big 12 football: Kansas, Turner Gill face long season
Kansas football coach Turner Gill faces a massive job. His Jayhawks went 3-9 last season and now jump into a tougher (for KU) Big 12, with six games against the South Division schools.
Gill said 2010 was a chance for him to learn how his Jayhawks handle adversity. In that regard, KU wasn’t a total disaster. After a discouraging opening loss to North Dakota State, Kansas pulled an upset of Georgia Tech and also staged an historic rally — trailing Colorado 45-17 in the fourth quarter, KU rallied to win 52-45.
“Overall, I would have liked for it to have been a little bit better,” Gill said. “But I was glad to see them respond. If I had never seen our players respond to adversity… And even with the last four ballgames, even though we didn’t win those games, there was tremendous improvement.”
“Everybody handles adversity in different ways. How much involvement do we as coaches need to get involved when adversity comes? Every team, every player, it’s unique. That’s the thing that took a little bit more time. How to get our players to teach the other guys. If you’ve got the players being able to respond, and they can handle some of those things…”
Still, it’s pretty bleak in Lawrence. Gill talked in generalities. Work ethic. Attitude. Those kinds of things. No specifics. It’s going to be a long football season for KU.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 71664Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31265Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 29267Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 20588Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6679Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6629Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6010Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 5747Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 5482Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 5176Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients