Big 12 football: Iowa State’s schedule one of toughest in nation
Paul Rhoads’ wife likes her husband’s job. He likes it, too. So expect Iowa State football to start scheduling down.
“My wife likes our job, and I sort of do , too,” Rhoads said Tuesday during Big 12 media days. “That’s not a direction I’d like to move. A change is in place in 2012 and beyond to get away from that challenging of a schedule.”
In 2010, Rhoads’ second Cyclone football team went 5-7. Iowa State lost to Iowa and Utah in non-conference. This season, Iowa State plays Iowa and Connecticut. Plus this year, Iowa State plays nine conference games, including all the Oklahoma and Texas schools.
“One of , if not the, toughest schedule in college football,” Rhoads said. “It’s very challenging, certainly. When I took the job, I knew this schedule was going to be rough anyway.
“As we move forward, it’s a challenge our kids embrace.”
Iowa State seems committed to competing in the Big 12. A new video system is being placed in Jack Trice Stadium for this season, and a new football facility is being built to open next summer.
“Our administration has always supported us and understands what it takes to be competitive,” Rhoads said. “The environment of Jack Trice Stadium is really going to be enhanced. Having moved into our current facility back in 1996, I knew sooner rather than later we were going to need a new football facility.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 26512Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17561Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 8879OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8492Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 8412UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7989Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7605Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6228Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5649Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4993Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients