Big 12 football: Bob Stoops lauds Landry Jones’ leadership
Mack Brown talked on Monday about seeking leadership from his quarterback at Texas. Bob Stoops talked on Tuesday about how leadership has to come from performance.
During Big 12 media days, Stoops talked about the progression of Sooner quarterback Landry Jones, who made major strides last season, to now where he’s mentioned as a Heisman Trophy candidate.
“Just naturally, he had some really big games down the stretch,” Stoops said. “On the road at Oklahoma State, look at the Big 12 championship game against a really good defense (Nebraska’s), and then in the Fiesta Bowl (against Connecticut), he really played great. Major factor in us winning those games.
“Then you add the winter, how hard he works, everybody recognizes. Now the experience, the confidence, it’s natural as a guy matures. He’s become a really strong leader. He’s become more comfortable in it.”
Stoops said that comfort is a natural progression of the 2010 season.
“If he hasn’t played and earned that respect and performance and meeting challenges, it’s hard to be that guy,” Stoops said. Jones “has all that now. He’s a true, true leader on this team and a special one.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15391Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9463Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8117Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7214Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6364Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6332Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6331Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5818Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 5611Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5224UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients