Big 12 football: More conference realignment talk
Anytime I mis-use the word “ironic,” I hear from some pals who point out that I should have said “coincidental.” One thing about me, I’m coachable.
So here goes. It’s quite a coincidence that on the day I wrote a column mentioning Texas Gov. Rick Perry, and how his presidential aspirations could help keep his beloved Texas Aggies in the Big 12, The Oklahoman runs a political column from the Washington Post’s Michael Gerson that recalls Perry’s implied threat of secession.
Not from the Big 12. From the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.
That’s what Perry warned in 2009, talking about states rights. Good lesson for me and maybe everybody, which is that just because a Texas Aggie becomes governor doesn’t mean he’s not capable of lifting one of those swords and telling people to get off the sacred grass of Kyle Field.
Anyway, after two days of Big 12 football talk in which displeasure with the Longhorn Network trumped what should have been a celebration of all the great quarterbacks and receivers and national title contenders, here a few other nuggets on realignment.
* I asked Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville what he had to say this year about the Big 12′s future, considering last summer he got his butt in a sling over expressing doubt about its long-term viability.
“I said a few things last year. And, of course, I believe that,” Tuberville said. “I wish we still had Nebraska and we still had Colorado. I think it was a very good conference. But it still is. We’ve got a chance to continue to build on what has been here for a long time. There’s a lot of good teams in this league.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 31040Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15616Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10323Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9726Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9655Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8284Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8255Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7508Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7162Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6434UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients