OSU football: New uniforms add gray to the school color list
I’ve learned a lot about OSU’s school colors this week. I did a video in which I talked about State’s new football uniforms, adding gray to the mix of orange and black.
My take: I like the concept of new-age uniforms and getting Nike all fired up about the Cowboys, but I don’t like adopting new colors. Duke and Nebraska and Oregon adding black, Colorado coming out in blue every once in awhile, Notre Dame vacillating between blue and green.
Anyway, I lauded everything about the new Cowboy duds except the advent of gray. And I heard from a Cowboy fan who reemed me out for not knowing that silver is considered an official OSU color.
I have to admit, I did not know. But there it is, on the official OSU logo page. A list of all the official Cowboy colors: OSU orange, OSU light orange, OSU silver and black. The silver appears to be used as a very thin border on a couple of OSU logos. I can’t find it anywhere else.
I’m not buying that gray and silver are the same. If they’re the same, why not call the color silver? Silver sounds cool and edgy. Gray sounds old. People who are trying to be complimentary call my hair silver. People who are cruel to the bone call it gray.
If silver and gray are the same, then why can you get both in the big Crayola box? Both have been Crayola staples since 1949 (it’s amazing the information on the Internet).
Oh well, gray, silver, who cares. My point is, I’m not crazy about adding colors to your primary scheme.
After years of wandering in the wilderness, OSU finally has settled on an orange. Bright, solid orange, as opposed to the burnt orange of about 30 years ago (what were they thinking?) and the light orange still has hung on as an official school color.
Tennessee orange is yakky and Texas orange is blah, but OSU orange is loud and proud.
The new uniforms don’t trample on tradition, because OSU’s uniform tradition is change. From black to orange. From white pants to orange pants. Different helmets seemingly every decade. So more change is no big deal.
I just wish gray wasn’t added to the color options. The Cowboys have plenty of colors as it is.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients