OU football: Meet the Sooners Day a success
Meet the Sooners Day was vastly different this year. Moved to Saturday from Friday, because of the academic schedule. Moved to underneath the stadium, instead of the rugby fields, to avoid the blistering sun. And moved to children only — no autographs to anyone over 14 — because of the expected rush of the crowd set up by a weekend date.
And from all reports, it went swimmingly. Much cooler than in recent years, even though this is the hotter’n hell heatwave. One OU official said Bob Stoops really seemed pleased with the proceedings. Stoops is normally fantastic with small groups or individual fans, but big crowds can sort of turn him off. Yet Stoops seemed to enjoy the day. “We probably took care of 10 times more children than we would have if we did it other way,” Stoops said. “That was positive. And we had the children out of the heat under the stadium.”
At one point, a fan handed Stoops a screaming baby. Stoops took the baby and posed for a picture, all in stride.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients