OU football: Bob Stoops’ best guess on up-and-comers
Every August, I ask Bob Stoops who on his football team is likely to surprise us. Who is a guy we haven’t heard much about, or aren’t expecting much out of, but could become a Sooner mainstay?
I started this tradition with Dan Cody about 10 years. Stoops quickly identified Cody as an impact player, even though few had been heralding the defensive end. And of course, Cody became a force.
This year, Stoops offered three names. Daryl Williams, Geneo Grissom and Austin Haywood.
Williams is a redshirt freshman who is battling Lane Johnson and Donald Stephenson for the two available starting offensive tackle berths.
Grissom is a redshirt freshman defensive end who clearly ranks behind Frank Alexander, Ronnell Lewis and David King but who figures to force his way into the rotation.
And Haywood is a sophomore tight end who is behind James Hanna and Trent Ratterree but might force the coaches into giving him playing time. “We like our tight ends,” Stoops said. “He’ll be out there.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients