OU football: TU will miss Johnson on kickoffs
The University of Tulsa apparently will be without star receiver Damaris Johnson on Saturday against OU at Owen Field. The Golden Hurricane might miss Johnson most on kickoffs.
Johnson was suspended by TU coach Bill Blankenship last week after Tulsa police questioned Johnson and arrested his girlfriend, alleging she sold him merchandise worth thousands of dollars but charged him pennies on the dollar.
Johnson was a second-team all-American last season and is the NCAA career leader in all-purpose yardage. Johnson rushed for 560 yards last season and caught 57 passes for 872 yards. But he might be most dangerous on kickoff returns — Johnson holds the NCAA record for career kickoff return yards, 3,417 yards. He’s returned two kickoffs for touchdowns.
Tulsa has a potent offense. But TU’s best scoring opportunities might come on kickoff returns, which the Sooners have been lax in covering in recent years. “He’s an electrifying punt returner as well,” Bob Stoops said.
Stoops said he figures TU won’t change its offense much at all without Johnson. “Obviously, he’s a major weapon and a constant threat,” Stoops said. “But I’m sure they’re not going to switch what they’re doing.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 23122Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10571Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6943OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5977OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5278Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5014Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3834Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3753Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3593Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3185Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients