OU football: Who will fill Travis Lewis’ leadership void?
Oklahoma linebacker Travis Lewis won’t play Saturday against Tulsa and doesn’t figure to play Sept. 17 at Florida State, though you never know. A football field is no place for a broken toe; linebackers tend to get stepped on quite a bit.
The Sooners will miss Lewis’ linebacking. They will his leadership moreso. Lewis is one of the more demonstrative leaders in OU history. And it’s not just for show. Bob Stoops thinks enough of Lewis the Leader to make him responsible for the weekly Austin Box tribute. A different defender will wear No. 12 every week in honor of the late Box, and Stoops said the assignment is pretty much up to Lewis. Lewis and Landry Jones, but Stoops said Lewis would end up making the decision.
But it’s tough to be a leader strictly from the sideline. Lewis will feel partly like an outsider Saturday. Heck, he will BE partly an outsider on Saturday. That’s just the nature of football and injuries.
“Travis has done a great job being around, being vocal,” Stoops said of August practices since the injury a few weeks ago. “It’s not easy to lead when you’re not playing. It’ll be a challenge in the huddle.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 26512Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17561Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 8879OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8492Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 8412UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7989Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7605Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6228Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5649Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4993Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients