OU football: Dominique Whaley’s 2008 season at Langston
The Dominique Whaley story just gets more and more amazing. The junior walkon rushed for 131 yards and scored four touchdowns in OU’s 47-14 rout of Tulsa on Saturday night.
In 2008, Whaley was a backup tailback at Langston. Here is Whaley’s game by game production from that 2008 season:
Stephen F. Austin: 10 carries, nine yards.
Lincoln University: 15 carries, 104 yards.
Panhandle State: seven carries, 37 yards, one TD.
Lane College: six carries, four yards.
Grambling State: five carries, 16 yards.
Central State (Ohio): five carries, 12 yards.
Southern Nazarene: two carries, 23 yards.
Bacone: three carries, 57 yards, one TD.
Mid-America Nazarene: one carry, minus-three yards.
Sioux Falls: four carries, minus-one yard.
Can you believe it? The guy is all the rage for the nation’s No. 1-ranked team, and his launching pad to that status was being a spring sensation for the Sooners. His launching pad to that status was spot duty for an NAIA team on the Oklahoma plains, playing teams with Nazarene in their name.
Bob Stoops played it straight Monday during the Big 12 teleconference, saying of Whaley, “He’s a guy with excellent vision. A very dependable, hard-working guy that has talent. He’s got excellent speed. He’s probably a low-4.4, high 4.3 (40-yard dash) guy. He’s got a 40-inch vertical jump. He’s gained about 20 pounds since he’s been here, so he’s gained strength to run through some tackles. He’s just really worked his way into being a solid player. We like his strength and his ability to make plays.”
OK. But that’s a script that applies to lots of guys. How about the fairy tale part. From Langston in Logan County to four touchdowns on Owen Field?
“It’s a very unusual and great story of a guy who’s really worked his way into this position,” Stoops said. “He’s gained 20 pounds, and it’s 20 pounds of muscle. He’s gained power and strength and speed and has worked his way into being one of these guys you can really count on.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients