Big 12 football: Britton Banowsky for commissioner?
During his kickoff teleconference Friday, interim Big 12 commissioner Chuck Neinas dropped the name of Britton Banowsky, using the Conference USA commissioner as an example of quality leadership.
Sudden thought: Is Banowsky the next permanent commissioner of the embattled Big 12?
Some around the league have mentioned Banowsky as the likely successor to Neinas, or Dan Beebe, depending on how you look at it. Big 12 presidents jettisoned Beebe on Thursday, a sacrifice to those upset that the Big 12 is about to lose another school. The Big 12 will be down to nine members from its original dozen, when Texas A&M departs.
Banowsky, 51, holds degrees in business and law from OU. His father, Bill, was OU’s president from 1978 through 1984.
Neinas brought up Banowsky’s name when asked if the Big 12 would consider expansion targets from Conference USA or the Mountain West, leagues with which Neinas is working on an alliance project. Neinas said under that scenario, he would talk with the commissioners of those leagues.
Neinas talked about how Banowsky handled the mass defection of schools from Conference USA in 2005 (Cincinnati, DePaul, Louisville, Marquette, South Florida, North Carolina-Charlotte, Saint Louis and TCU). “He handled it in an unbelievable manner,” Neinas said. “He provided opportunity for them to leave without disrupting the operation.”
Banowsky has been Conference USA commissioner for nine years. He replaced Mike Slive, who became commissioner of the Southeastern Conference.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11753Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10515Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9760Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9740Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6752Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4200Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4065Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3847Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3762Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 3552OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients