OU football: Bob Stoops misses Superman play
Here’s how good was Roy Williams’ Superman play against Texas 10 years ago this month. It was so spectacular, Bob Stoops let his guard down and admitted he liked that play right fine. “It’s one of my favorites,” Stoops said.
For the Tuesday Oklahoman Colleague Jenni Carlson wrote about Williams’ recollection of his sack of Chris Simms, which created an easy interception and touchdown for Teddy Lehman in OU’s 14-3 victory at the Cotton Bowl. You can read the column here.
And Stoops re-told the story Monday night that he didn’t even see the play. Texas took over at its 2-yard line late in the game, and during a TV timeout the Sooner defense huddled with the coaches. While defensive coordinator Mike Stoops conversed with Williams, Bob Stoops grabbed defensive end Cory Heinecke and gave specific instructions. Get wider. To counter Williams’ biltz, Simms would likely throw a quick pass in the flat. So Heinecke was to get in the way, get underneath the route.
“When the ball’s snapped, I’m watching Cory,” Stoops said.
Then he heard the roar. “What’s going on,” he said to himself. It took a second for Stoops to get his bearings. Then he focused on which players were celebrating. The white-clad Sooners. Not the burnt-orange Longhorns.
“Everyone’s yelling, ‘TOUCHDOWN,’” Stoops said. “I said, ‘What happened?’ They had to tell me.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 35743Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 30080Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 9255Tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 7252Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6705OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3930Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3921OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 3685College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3424Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3280Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients