OU football: Mark Hutson gets his chance
Mark Hutson showed up on the University of Oklahoma campus 27 years ago and immediately made an impact. Merv Johnson, who coached OU’s offensive line under Barry Switzer, called Hutson “by far the most proficient, sound and smart freshman lineman I’ve ever worked with. He plays like a senior, with his knowledge and anticipation.”
Hutson, a tackle from Fort Smith Northside, just across the Arkansas line, made the Sooner rotation as a true freshman, then moved to guard and became a two-time all-American and three-time all-Big Eight pick. He was part of those great
Hutson still is putting those smarts to use. He’s the interim head coach at Tulane, which this week fired Bob Toledo.
“You’d like for it to be under different circumstances,’’ Hutson told the New Orleans Times-Picayune. “But every assistant has aspirations and dreams to become a head coach. Certainly, I’m no different. I’ve dreamed of being in that chair.”
Hutson already has been in that chair. He took as interim head coach at Eastern Illinois in 2006 and led EIU to an 8-5 record and a Ohio Valley Conference co-championship. Hutson joined Toledo at Tulane in 2007. Previously, Hutson was a graduate assistant at OU in 1990-92, then joined Houston Nutt’s staffs at Murray State, Boise State and Arkansas. Hutson spent three years at Tulsa, 2000-02, before going to Eastern Illinois.
The Tulane job is not easy. The Green Wave was 15-40 in 41/2 seasons under Toledo and hasn’t had a winning season since 2002. Tulane is 2-5 this season and plays Memphis on Saturday.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients