OSU football: Mike Gundy doesn’t flee from the pressure
OSU is No. 3 in the BCS rankings. That’s new territory for the Cowboys, but so far, they’ve handled it very well. Since beating Texas A&M, the Cowboys have been in the national spotlight. But they’ve routed Texas at Texas, Missouri at Missouri and Baylor at Boone Pickens Stadium.
And it appears the Cowboys have a solid leader when it comes to dealing with the pressure of such high expectations. Mike Gundy is admitting the existence of such pressure.
“It’s more difficult each week,” Gundy said Monday during his weekly press conference. “Anybody who says it’s not is probably giving you a coach’s line. It’s human nature.
“There’s more attention drawn to your team, more attention drawn to your players individually. If anybody says there’s not more pressure put on them as the season progresses, I’d like to know how they avoid it.”
I like that attitude. Yes, you have to prepare each week, whether it’s Kansas or Bedlam on the schedule. Yes, you have to concentrate on Saturdays; the lessons of the last two Texas Tech games are apparent.
But there’s no reason to pretend that the pressure isn’t greater now than it was when OSU was a mid-level Big 12 team, wrestling for bowl positioning.
The pressure mounts on the Cowboys every week. They carry the expectations not just for themselves, but for OSU teams and fans of generations past. This season already is likely to be the greatest in school history. It has a chance to be even more than that.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11190Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11015Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9873Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8372Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4481Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4243Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4027OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3513Oklahoma tornadoes: Moore tornado was ninth deadliest in Oklahoma history
- 3480How to help tornado victims
- 3393Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients