OSU football: Cowboys back in the title hunt
On Saturday afternoon, driving from Dallas to Waco, I processed all the Oklahoma State bowl possibilities. I even came up with a doomsday scenario by which conspiracy could drop the Cowboys all the way to the Insight Bowl.
On Saturday night (actually Sunday morning), driving from Waco to Dallas, I did the same. And came up with a scenario by which the Cowboys could be back in the Big Bowl.
That was the result of the Saturday Night Massacre. A day that began with North Carolina State’s upset of seventh-ranked Clemson continued into Saturday night, when Baylor stunned No. 5 Oklahoma and Southern Cal beat No. 4 Oregon.
And suddenly, the BCS rankings released later Sunday likely are to look like this: 1. LSU; 2. Alabama; 3. Arkansas; 4. Oklahoma State; 5. Stanford.
With LSU and Arkansas playing next weekend, and OSU getting a high-profile Bedlam game on Dec. 3, the Cowboys actually are back in the hunt. They really need only two things to happen: 1. Auburn to upset Alabama (not likely); 2. Voters to revolt and move the Cowboys ahead of Bama, since the nation already has seen an LSU-Alabama game.
I don’t think it’s likely, but I do think it’s possible.
As for the Insight Bowl? Here was the theory. If OSU loses Bedlam, it would be 10-2. If OU had beaten Baylor or does beat Iowa State, the Sooners could win the Big 12′s automatic BCS berth with a Bedlam victory. It’s possible that the BCS shakeout could overlook a 10-2 Cowboys. Not necessarily likely, but possible, with the likes of Stanford, Houston, the SEC’s second team and a Big Ten like Michigan taking the at-large berths.
If the BCS should pass on OSU, it’s likely that the Cotton Bowl would take the Cowboys. But not a certainty. Kansas State is sitting out there, going to be 10-2 with a victory over Iowa State. That’s an excellent year for the Wildcats, their fans would drive in droves to Arlington for the Cotton Bowl. It’s possible the Cotton would have (or will, I guess still) take KSU.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients