Oklahoma football: Castiglione likes the job he’s got
The search for a permanent Big 12 commissioner is beginning. Do not expect Joe Castiglione to be a candidate.
The OU athletic director has been mentioned as a candidate to replace Chuck Neinas, when the interim commissioner steps down, probably at the end of this school year. And it’s not the first time Joe C. has been mentioned. He’s well-respected, he’s been in the conference (Big Eight included) as an AD for 19 years and has been on the campus of Missouri or OU for 30 years.
One sign of Castiglione’s status: He was named to the prestigious NCAA basketball committee, replacing ousted Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe.
But Castiglione told me this week he’s not interested in the commissioner’s job. Maybe some day, he said. But not now. He likes the job he has. He also likes the type of job he has.
Joe C. said the best part of his job is the regular interaction with student-athletes and their events. Feeling a part of their success and cheering them on to victory. Castiglione said there is something invigorating about working on a college campus, in any endeavor. Plus, his sons are still in school, the oldest just entering high school.
The Big 12 commissioner job will be interesting. Challenging, engaging, gratifying, if done well. It’s a hairy time for the Big 12, but lead the league through these rocky waters, and the new commissioner would be a hero, or as much of a hero as an administrator can do.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 71664Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31265Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 29267Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 20588Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6679Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6629Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6010Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 5747Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 5482Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 5176Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients