Big 12 basketball: Final weekly rankings
The final weekly rankings of Big 12 basketball, which basically are a prediction of the finish that will determine the Big 12 Tournament pairings.
1. Kansas 14-2, 24-5: The Jayhawks have a two-game lead and a magic number of one. Any KU victory or Missouri loss hands the Jayhawks the outright Big 12 title and the No. 1 seed. All things considered — the 19-point comeback in a virtual conference title game, in what is the last scheduled game in an arch rivalry that is coming to an end — KU’s overtime win over Mizzou has to rank as one of the top five victories in the Jayhawks’ glorious history.
2. Missouri 12-4, 25-4: Mizzou finishes with a home game against Iowa State and at Texas Tech. KU finishes at OSU on Monday night, then hosts Texas.
3. Iowa State 11-5, 21-8: The Cyclones finish at Missouri, then hosting Baylor. Iowa State lost at Baylor earlier in the season, but if ISU beats Baylor in the rematch, the Cyclones would win a tiebreaker with Baylor, based on its ISU’s victory over Kansas.
4. Baylor 11-5, 24-5: The Bears host Texas Tech before going to Ames. So ISU-Baylor is really for third place. Winner likely gets on the side of the bracket with Missouri, Texas and OSU. Loser gets on the side with Kansas and Kansas State. Probably want to win.
5. Kansas State 8-8, 19-9: Wildcats go to Texas A&M, then host OSU. If the Cowboys somehow won out to tie K-State, OSU would win the tiebreaker, via its victory over Kansas. If the Cowboys tie KSU without beating KU, K-State would win the tiebreaker. If OSU, Texas and K-State end up tied, the order would be KSU, OSU, UT.
6. Texas 8-8, 18-11: The Longhorns host OU, then go to Kansas, so the Longhorns seem a sure bet for 9-9.
7. OSU 7-9, 14-15: The Cowboys host Kansas, then go to K-State. OSU would beat Texas in a tiebreaker because of OSU’s victory over Missouri. If the teams split their two games, the next tiebreaker is how you did against the No. 1 team in the league, then go down accordingly.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients