OU football: Stoops ties with Iowa
Bob Stoops’ Iowa ties are strong. He spent 10 years in Iowa City. That’s as long as he was at Kansas State and Florida, combined.
Stoops played from 1978-82, then was a graduate assistant and volunteer coach for five years, before getting hired for the Kent State staff. In the Friday Oklahoman, I wrote about Stoops’ playing in the 1979 OU-Iowa game. You can read it here:
Stoops doesn’t mind talking about Florida and K-State, but he becomes his most animated when he talks about the old days, either at Youngstown or Iowa City. Remember last December, when OU was in Greater Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl, the Stoops family, including Bob, attended the Iowa-Missouri Insight Bowl, wearing Iowa gear. Carol Stoops says she still decks out all the kids in Hawkeye gear to watch Iowa on television.
More personal for Stoops in this OU-Iowa Insight Bowl is Hawkeye coach Kirk Ferentz, who was an offensive line coach for Iowa from 1981-89. Stoops was there as a player or staff member for seven of those seasons.
“It’s kind of different, playing Iowa,” Stoops said. “Being there 10 years, being great friends with Kirk Ferentz and a lot of people back in Iowa. It’ll be exciting and fun to be together. It’ll be good to reminisce a little bit.”
Bob met Carol at Iowa.
“I would just say for our family, it was an amazing experience,” Stoops said. “I wouldn’t be where I’m at without the experience at Iowa. I’m thankful that I had that opportunity.”
We’ve got at least one more Stoops/Iowa treat for you. In the Saturday Oklahoman, our man Travis Haney is writing about Hayden Fry, the man who built Iowa football into a force and got Stoops into coaching. Fry has one of the most amazing careers in college football and is quite the personality. You will enjoy it. Don’t miss it.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 75968Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30909Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 28067Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 24729Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6906Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 6904Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6686Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 6314Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 6228Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5710Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients