OSU football: Fiesta Bowl splits Piedmont household
When Karl Gigstad arrived at StanfordUniversity 31/2 years ago as a Piedmont High School graduate, Stanford had reached one major bowl in 38 years.
When his little sister, Elise, got to OSU earlier this year, the Cowboys hadn’t been in a major bowl since the 1945 season.
So naturally, in the Fiesta Bowl next week is Karl’s Cardinal and Elise’s Cowboys.
Which made for an interesting Christmas in the Gigstad household.
“It’s a lot of trash talk for sure,” Karl said. “I made sure to give her a nice Stanford shirt for Christmas so she could wear it on Jan. 2.”
Fat chance of that. Elise distributed Cowboy gear to her family, and she’s got the bonus of her parents being OSU season ticket holders. “It’s been really fun,” Elise said.
Karl said he also is recruiting family members to root for the Stanford side of this game. “I think I’ve got my brother sold on it,” he said. “That’s me and him rooting against the little sister. Unfortunately, I think she’s got both my parents on her side. They got season tickets this year. She gets all the special treatment since she stayed in state. I’ll just have to console ‘em afterwards, I guess.”
Neither Gigstad will be at the game, though Karl did make it toMiamifor the Stanford-Virginia Tech Orange Bowl last season. “That was really cool,” he said. “Traveling two years in a row didn’t work out.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients